Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Secret of Art (page 82, from Book "Nurtured by Love" by Dr Suzuki)

Dr Suzuki found his secret to Art. He writes:
I searched for the meaning of art in music, and it was through music that I found my work and my purpose in life. Once art to me was something far off, unfathomable and unattainable. But I discovered it was a tangible thing. Anybody who takes up an art is apt to think of the object of his ambition as something very far off and I tried to search for the secret. But after my eight years in Germany, I found that it was not all what I had imagined it to be.

The real essence of art turned out to be not something high up and far off. It was right inside my ordinary daily self. The very way one greets people and expresses oneself is art. If a musician wants to become a fine artist, he must first become a finer person. If he does this his worth will appear. It will appear in everything he does, even in what he writes. Art is not some far off place. A work of art is the expression of a man's whole personality, sensibility, and ability.

No comments: