Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grandmother, Mentor and Muse

Portrait of my Grandmother June Eloise Herne 26 June 1923 - 11 March 2009
2003 Acrylic on Canvas 90cmx120cm by Candice Herne

My Granny passed away on the 11th March. Granny is the family matriarch. She is the glue that keeps us all together. Her motto is love, love, love. I lived with my Granny for 12 months from years 18 to 19. I felt that was the year I really started to grow. Her absolute love and respect for me, nurtured me into the woman I am today.

A favourite past time for all the grandchildren would be to get in bed with her and snuggle and chat. I still did it in my 30's. Where ever I was over the last 20 years I called Granny everyweek. She would say she got a bit worried If I'd miss a week here and there. I loved knowing that our chats meant something too her as much as they meant to me. Gran pretty much new everything about me and in return she shared with me some of the challenges she had to face in her life. Gran showed me that by showing authentic love we can get through most any challenge in our life.

I am very grateful that I have had time to prepare, say thank you, and tell her a million trillion times how much I love her, it's never enough and it hasn't been easy, saying goodbye. But the good thing is now I talk to her everyday. I love you Granny, thanks for loving me. Talk soon Candyxx

2 comments:

Lyssy May said...

That is so beautifully expressed Candy. I am sorry to hear of your loss and know exactly what you mean about continuing to have her with you. It is so special when you have a grandparent be so integral to your life and who you've become. x

Candice Herne said...

Thanks Alyssa, your thoughts are very appreicated.xx